Mr AP Kala Principal/Lead Consultant
Mr. AP Kala, Tax Quotient’s Principal/ Lead Consultant, will provide guidance and advice on all tax related technical and legal matters.
Mr. A.P. Kala, joined the Indian Revenue Service in August 1973 and had a very illustrious Government career spread over 36 years in the Union Ministryof Finance. During these years he successfully served in various critical roles relating to tax policy, administration and enforcement.
The more notable among the various positions he held include:
1.Special Secretary, Ministry of Finance & Director General Central Economic Intelligence Bureau;
2. Director General Revenue Intelligence, Department of Revenue;
3. Chief Commissioner of Customs;
4. Special Director, Enforcement Directorate [enforcing the Foreign Exchange Management Act,1999 (FEMA) and Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA);
5. Deputy Director General Narcotics Control Bureau 3. Chairman of the Working Group on Enforcement of the World Customs Organization.
6. Led and participated in Indian delegations to various bilateral, Regional,multilateral and UN Conferences.
7. Visiting faculty at various academies including :
a)The National Academy of Customs Excise and Narcotics
b)The National Police Academy
c)The CBI Academy
d)The National Academy of Direct taxes
e)The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade and numerous other training institutions.
Anthony Fernandes, Founder Tax Quotient
Anthony Fernandes is a tax specialist with over three decades of experience particularly in indirect taxation. He cut short his successful tax career in the corporate world to realize his long term desire to set out on his own and reach out to a larger number of tax payers.
Having begun as an Inspector in the Central Excise & Customs, Ministry of Finance, GOI, he quickly moved over to the industry. Since then he served several Indian and multinational companies to formulate tax policies and strategies to meet financial and governance goals. To set standards aimed at 100% compliance while getting the best out of tax and his team. His aim always was 100% tax compliance while balancing tax optimization, tax risk management and compliance costs.
He has held various roles including as Group Head and Sr. VP of Indirect Taxation at Essar Group, Sr. VP & Head of Taxation & Regulatory at Essar Steel India Ltd., Head of Taxation in Castrol India Ltd., Mumbai and Excise Manager at Asian Paints India Ltd. apart from the initial stint in the Ministry of Finance.
His areas of expertise includes :
- Interpretation of tax legislation and foreign trade policy
- Structuring transactions tax efficiently within the framework of the law
- Defining and introducing internal controls (IT driven controls) to ensure accurate tax processes and reporting.
- Defending client organizations against various tax proceedings in several complex cases and litigation upto Supreme Court effectively including appearances before adjudication and appellate authorities upto Tribunal.
- His experience covers major sectors including steel, oil & gas, power, projects, aviation, shipping, lubricating oils, paint industry and pharmaceuticals.
Represented his organizations before the Central and State Government on tax law changes and clarifications including the CBEC. Anthony served on various Committees and also was involved in other activities. They include :
- Member of Indirect Tax Committee of Bombay Chamber of Commerce & Industry and Member of EXIM Committee CII
- Member of the National Committee of the CII for implementation of GST in India.
- Member of CII’s National Committee for GST
- Ex-Chairman, Indirect Tax Committee of Indian Paint Association (1994-2003) and led many industry representations to the Senior Officials in the Min of Finance.
- Was a regular faculty training Excise Officers at the National Academy for Customs, Excise and Narcotics, (NACEN), MoF, Mumbai